Sat., Jan. 19, 2013
Wichita State (9-6, 3-0 MVC) vs. Creighton (12-3, 4-0 MVC)7:05 p.m.
Listen | Live Stats | Live Video
Date: Jan. 19, 2013
Tipoff: 7:05 p.m. CST
Location: Wichita, Kan.
Arena: Koch Arena (10,506)
Radio: AM 1330 KNSS
Talent: Brian Petrotta
The Wichita State women's basketball team (9-6, 3-0 MVC) faces the only other unbeaten team in the Valley, Creighton (12-3, 4-0 MVC), Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. inside Charles Koch Arena.
- WSU is coming off a 60-57 win Northern Iowa. Jessica Diamond scored 13 points with six rebounds and five assists to lead the Shockers to a key Valley road win.
- The Shockers have not trailed at any point in three MVC games. In fact, the Wichita State lead has been three points or fewer for only 8 min, 57 sec out of 60 total minutes in those contests (slightly less than 15% of the total minutes played). WSU hit its first eight shots at Bradley on Jan. 10 and its first six shots at UNI on Jan. 12.
- WSU has held eight of 15 teams to 51 points or less and is 5-3 in those games. Entering this weekend's games, the Shockers rank 27th in the NCAA in scoring defense (52.7 ppg) and 63rd in turnover margin (+3.13).
- The Shockers' three-point defense has been especially stout. Only one team (Wisconsin-Green Bay) has made more than five three-point baskets in a game against WSU. Wichita State's .277 three-point perentage defense is ranked first in the MVC and 71st in the country.
- Wichita State's bench poured in 58 points in Dec. 15's win vs. UAPB. For the year, WSU's bench is out-scoring the opponent, 345-213.
- The Shockers Fall 2012 recruiting class was recently ranked No. 47 in the country by Blue Star Basketball. This is the second Top 50 class for Jody Adams. The first included current seniors Jessica Diamond, Chynna Turner, and Jazimen Gordon plus junior Michelle Price.
- Jessica Diamond became the fourth Shocker in history to reach 1,000 career points with 300 rebounds and 300 assists after dishing out three dimes on Nov. 24 vs. James Madison. Tonya Lane (1987-91), Kim Evans (1992-96), and Lateesha Hill (1996-00) are the others. Diamond is currently 10th on WSU's all-time scoring list with 1,275 points. She needs 91 more points to match former teammate Haleigh Lankster (2008-12) for ninth.
- Head Coach Jody Adams owns 77 victories at Wichita State to pass Kathryn Bunnell (1978-83) for second on WSU's career wins list. She notched her 100th overall win as a head coach Jan. 10 at Bradley. Wichita State is 51-20 (.718) overall and 5-2 this year at home under Adams.
LAST TIME OUT
The Shockers hit their first six shots from the floor and held on for a 60-57 win at Northern Iowa Saturday night. Jessica Diamond scored 13 points with six rebounds and five assists while sinking two free throws in the final 20 seconds to seal the win. Jazimen Gordon added 12 points on 6-for-6 shooting as WSU swept the Bradley-UNI road swing for the second consecutive year.
The Bluejays were selected as the preseason favorite in the MVC and have done nothing to change anyone's opinion. Creighton is 12-3 and 4-0 in the Valley, with three of those four conference wins coming by 19 points or more. Junior Sarah Nelson leads the team in scoring (12.2 ppg) and rebounding (7.7 rpg) while shooting .511 from the field. Marissa Janning is a Freshman of the Year contender, contributing 11.9 points behind .458 shooting from three-point range. Preseason Player of the Year Carli Tritz adds 8.8 points and 4.1 assists with 29 steals. Head Coach Jim Flanery is in his 11th season at Creighton and picked up his 200th career victory earlier this year.
NOTES ON JODY ADAMS
- WSU is 51-20 (.718) overall and 5-2 this year at home under Adams
- On Dec. 7, passed Kathryn Bunnell (1978-83) for 2nd on the WSU all-time wins list. Linda Hargrove (1989-98) is 1st with 133 wins over 9 seasons.
- 77-67 in 5+ seasons at WSU and 101-74 overall (24-8 @ Murray St in 2007-08)
- WSU is 43-16 (6-0 this year) under Adams when out-rebounding the opponent.
- WSU is 44-5 (2-2 this year) under Adams when attempting more FTs than the opponent.
- Only WSU coach with a .500-or-better record in the MVC Tournament.
A GRAND CAREER
Senior Jessica Diamond joined the 1,000-point club in the regular season finale last year and now owns 1,275 career points to rank 10th at WSU. Haleigh Lankster (2008-2012) is 9th with 1,366.
Jessica Diamond is the Shockers' leading scorer at 14.3 ppg and is the only WSU player averaging double figures. As a team, the Shockers are scoring 57.7 ppg and shooting .404 from the field. The Shockers have scored 60 or more points eight times.
Defensively, WSU has held eight opponents to 51 points or less and is keeping the other to side .375 shooting from the floor and .277 from three-point range.
--In eight of WSU's nine wins, the Shockers posted a higher shooting percentage than the opponent.
This season the Shockers have held eight opponents to 51 points or less and are 5-3 in those contests. The Shockers are 1-3 when the opponent score 63 or more. The Shockers held 19 opponents below 60 points last year and went 15-4 in those games.
WSU is 44-5 (2-2 this year) under Jody Adams when attempting more free throws than the opponent. The Shockers have been out-shot at the line in 11 of 15 games this year and 309-266 in overall attempts for the season. WSU is shooting .692 (184-266) from the line. Jessica Diamond leads the team at .870 (40-46).
D'ING UP AGAINST THE "3"
Last year, the Shockers boasted the top three-point defense in the MVC, and may be headed that way in 2012-13, keeping opponents to .277 shooting from downtown. The Shockers were 15-6 when holding the opponent below 30% shooting from beyond the arc and 11-0 when keeping them below 20% last year.
Jessica Diamond returns as WSU's top assist-maker from a year ago. In 3+ seasons she has 323 dimes against 284 turnovers. Diamond has 37 assists this year though Alex Harden leads the team with 44.
KNOCKING 'EM DOWN
Last season, Wichita State led the Valley and ranked 13th in the nation in field goal percentage at .443. WSU is shooting just .406 overall in 15 games this year but connecting on .440 in MVC play.
TAKING CARE OF THE ROCK
In 15 games this year, the Shockers have forced 292 turnovers while committing just 245 (16.3-19.5). WSU is 7-3 when committing fewer turnovers and ranks 63rd in the NCAA in turnover margin (+3.13).
CHECKING THE CAREER LISTS
- Jessica Diamond has 323 career assists to rank 8th at WSU. Kim Evans is 7th with 346.
- Diamond has 89 career 3-pt field goals to rank 8th at WSU. Lexee McDonald (2005-07) is 7th with 90 and Shelley Crow (1986-90) is 6th with 98.
- Jazimen Gordon has 108 career blocked shots to rank 3rd on WSU's career list. Mary Kennedy (1980-83) is 2nd with 169.
- Gordon has 558 career rebounds to rank 18th. Beth Epp (1976-79) is 17th with 572 and Kim Evans (192-96) is 16th with 580.
WSU IN THE MVC
Last season the Shockers reached 12 conference wins for the third time in school history, giving WSU back-to-back double-digit win totals in conference play for the 2nd time (10 wins in 1998-99 & 14 wins in '99-'00). The Shockers have steadily improved in each of Jody Adams' seasons as head coach.
Year Record Place
2008-09 4-14 t-9th
2009-10 8-10 6th
2010-11 10-8 5th
2011-12 12-6 3rd
2012-13 3-0 2nd
Wichita State was picked second in the MVC preseason poll, tying WSU's highest-ever selection with the 2006-07 team. The Shockers have met or exceeded its preseason prognostication in each of Jody Adams' four seasons.