AUSTIN, Texas- Junior Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul defeated Kateryna Bugayenko, 6-2, 6-4, to help the Wichita State women's tennis team defeat No. 69 Stephen F. Austin, 4-2, on Sunday at Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
Lucia Kovalova, Rebecca Pedrazzi and Montse Blasco Fernandez also got wins in singles play for the Shockers to clinch the match and snap a losing skid. The coaches decided to only play the singles matches because of weather in the area.
Veronika Blaskova and Carla Venticinque were still nursing injuries from earlier in the season, and head coach Colin Foster was impressed with the perseverance of his team.
"Vero and Carla have been battling injuries and did a great job to compete for the team," Foster said. "For everyone else to close their matches out in straight sets, especially with the pressure knowing that we were behind on two courts, was a very good effort."
"It was a strong effort across the board, and a complete team win against a top-75 opponent," added Foster.
The Shocker women will continue their team season on Thursday, January 31 when they travel to Tulsa, Okla. for a match against No. 24 Tulsa. The match will begin at 4 p.m.
No. 61 Wichita State (2-3) 4
No. 69 Stephen F. Austin (0-3) 2
1. Lucia Kovalova (WSU) def. Malena Gordo (SFA) 6-3, 6-1
2. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU) def. Julia Lorca (SFA) 6-4, 6-1
3. Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul (WSU) def. Kateryna Bugayenko (SFA) 6-2, 6-4
4. Margot de Haan (SFA) def. Veronika Blaskova (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Carla Venticinque (WSU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Montse Blasco Fernandez (WSU) def. Laura Servise (SFA) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3*