WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.- The Wichita State women's tennis team was defeated, 5-2, by No. 41 Purdue on Friday afternoon at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
The match did not start well for the Shockers, as they lost all three doubles contests to lock the doubles point in for the Boilermakers. Jennifer Rabot and Mara Schmidt defeated Veronika Blaskova and Lucia Kovalova, 8-2. Then, Daniela Vidal and Lynda Xepoleas defeated Delia Damaschin and Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul, 8-1, and Imogen Golder and Gisella Pere defeated Lutfiana Budiharto and Carla Venticinque, 8-4.
The singles competition was just as tough for the Shocks as they dropped the first three matches to Purdue. Mahajaroenkul and Budiharto were able to gain the only two points for the Shockers as they won the next two matches before Delia Damaschin dropped the final point of the match.
The Shockers look to bounce back on Saturday morning when they head back to the Schwartz Tennis Center to play No. 66 Marshall at 11 a.m.
No. 41 Purdue (5-1) 5
Wichita State (4-2) 2
1. Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Veronika Blaskova/Lucia Kovalova (WSU), 8-2
2. Imogen Golder/Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Lutfiana Budiharto/Carla Venticinque (WSU), 8-4
3. Daniela Vidal/Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) def. Delia Damaschin/Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul (WSU), 8-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) def. Jennifer Rabot (PUR), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
2. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) def. Delia Damaschin (WSU), 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Veronika Blaskova (WSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Lucia Kovalova (WSU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Carla Venticinque (WSU), 6-1, 7-5
6. Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul (WSU) def. Anna Dushkina (PUR), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2