Mon, Jan. 21, 2013
Wichita State (10-6, 4-0 MVC) vs. Drake (5-11, 0-5 MVC)7:05 p.m.
Listen | Live Stats | Live Video
Date: Jan. 21, 2013
Tipoff: 7:05 p.m. CST
Location: Wichita, Kan.
Arena: Koch Arena (10,506)
Radio: AM 1330 KNSS
Talent: Brian Petrotta
The Wichita State women’s basketball team (10-6, 4-0 MVC) faces Drake (5-11, 0-5 MVC) Monday night at 7:05 p.m. inside Charles Koch Arena.
- WSU is coming off a 67-45 win over previously unbeaten Creighton to take sole possession of first place in the MVC. At 4-0, WSU has its second-best start to the Valley schedule. The school record is 7-0, set last season.
- WSU moved up to No. 77 in the power rankings (RPI), the first time this year the Shockers have been ranked in the top 100.
- The 22-point win over the Bluejays marked WSU’s most lopsided win over Creighton since Feb. 3, 1983 when the Shockers won 83-50 in Wichita.
- Several individual career highs were set or tied in Saturday's game: Alex Harden (20 points), Jasmine Jones (16 points), Michelle Price (6 steals), and Chynna Turner (3 steals).
- The Shockers have not trailed at any point in the first three MVC games until Creighton reeled off the first 11 points of Saturday’s contest. Still, the Shockers have trailed a grand total of 12 minutes, 49 seconds out of 80 minutes (16%) in four conference games. WSU hit its first eight shots at Bradley on Jan. 10 and its first six shots at UNI on Jan. 12.
- WSU has held nine of 16 teams to 51 points or less and is 6-3 in those games. Entering tonight’s game, the Shockers rank 23rd in the NCAA in scoring defense (52.2 ppg) and 53rd in turnover margin (+3.44).
- The Shockers’ three-point defense has been especially stout. Only two teams (Wisconsin-Green Bay, Creighton) have made more than five three-point baskets in a game against WSU. Wichita State’s .282 three-point perentage defense ranks first in the MVC and 93rd in the country.
- Wichita State’s bench poured in 58 points in Dec. 15’s win vs. UAPB. For the year, WSU’s bench is out-scoring the opponent, 362-216.
- Head Coach Jody Adams owns 78 victories at Wichita State to pass Kathryn Bunnell (1978-83) for second on WSU’s career wins list. She notched her 100th overall win as a head coach Jan. 10 at Bradley. Wichita State is 52-20 (.722) overall and 6-2 this year at home under Adams.
LAST TIME OUT
Creighton scored the first 11 points of the game then WSU out-scored the Bluejays 67-34 the rest of the way to become the last unbeaten team in the MVC. Alex Harden (20) and Jasmine Jones (16) reached career-high scoring totals and the Shockers held Creighton to 33.3% shooting (15-of-45 FG). WSU forced 22 turnovers and out-rebounded the Jays 36-28.
The Bulldogs are in search of their first conference win after falling short at Missouri State, 80-77, Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Kyndal Clark recorded a career-high 26 points Saturday and now averages 14.5 per game. Carly Grenfell knocks down 40.2% of her three's to rank 33rd in the country. Shawnee, Kan. native Mary Pat Specht shoots at a 38.6% clip from downtown and contributes 7.7 points per game. Morgan Reid is the team's top rebounder at 8.1 per game and Alyssa Marschner has dished out 75 assists, tops in the MVC. Thirty year-old Jenny Baranczyk, a 3-time captain at Iowa, is in her first year as head coach at Drake.
NOTES ON JODY ADAMS
- WSU is 52-20 (.722) overall and 6-2 this year at home under Adams
- On Dec. 7, passed Kathryn Bunnell (1978-83) for 2nd on the WSU all-time wins list. Linda Hargrove (1989-98) is 1st with 133 wins over 9 seasons.
- 78-67 in 5+ seasons at WSU and 102-74 overall (24-8 @ Murray St in 2007-08)
- WSU is 44-16 (7-0 this year) under Adams when out-rebounding the opponent.
- WSU is 44-5 (2-2 this year) under Adams when attempting more FTs than the opponent.
- Only WSU coach with a .500-or-better record in the MVC Tournament.
A GRAND CAREER
Senior Jessica Diamond joined the 1,000-point club in the regular season finale last year and now owns 1,281 career points to rank 10th at WSU. Haleigh Lankster (2008-2012) is 9th with 1,366.
Jessica Diamond is the Shockers' leading scorer at 13.8 ppg and is the only WSU player averaging double figures. As a team, the Shockers are scoring 58.3 ppg and shooting .413 from the field. The Shockers have scored 60 or more points nine times.
Defensively, WSU has held nine opponents to 51 points or less and is keeping the other to side .372 shooting from the floor and .282 from three-point range.
--In nine of WSU's 10 wins, the Shockers posted a higher shooting percentage than the opponent.
This season the Shockers have held nine opponents to 51 points or less and are 6-3 in those contests. The Shockers are 1-3 when the opponent score 63 or more. The Shockers held 19 opponents below 60 points last year and went 15-4 in those games.
WSU is 44-5 (2-2 this year) under Jody Adams when attempting more free throws than the opponent. The Shockers have been out-shot at the line in 11 of 16 games this year and 327-284 in overall attempts for the season. WSU is shooting .690 (196-284) from the line. Jessica Diamond leads the team at .875 (42-48) and has hit 24 in a row.
D'ING UP AGAINST THE "3"
Last year, the Shockers boasted the top three-point defense in the MVC, and may be headed that way in 2012-13, keeping opponents to .282 shooting from downtown. The Shockers were 15-6 when holding the opponent below 30% shooting from beyond the arc and 11-0 when keeping them below 20% last year.
Jessica Diamond returns as WSU's top assist-maker from a year ago. In 3+ seasons she has 329 dimes against 286 turnovers. Diamond has 43 assists this year though Alex Harden leads the team with 48.
KNOCKING 'EM DOWN
Last season, Wichita State led the Valley and ranked 13th in the nation in field goal percentage at .443. WSU is shooting just .413 overall in 15 games this year but connecting on .459 in MVC play.
TAKING CARE OF THE ROCK
In 15 games this year, the Shockers have forced 314 turnovers while committing just 259 (19.6-16.2). WSU is 8-3 when committing fewer turnovers and ranks 63rd in the NCAA in turnover margin (+3.4).
CHECKING THE CAREER LISTS
- Jessica Diamond has 329 career assists to rank 8th at WSU. Kim Evans is 7th with 346.
- Diamond has 89 career 3-pt field goals to rank 8th at WSU. Lexee McDonald (2005-07) is 7th with 90 and Shelley Crow (1986-90) is 6th with 98.
- Jazimen Gordon has 108 career blocked shots to rank 3rd on WSU's career list. Mary Kennedy (1980- 83) is 2nd with 169.
- Gordon has 558 career rebounds to rank 18th. Beth Epp (1976-79) is 17th with 572 and Kim Evans (192-96) is 16th with 580.
WSU IN THE MVC
Last season the Shockers reached 12 conference wins for the third time in school history, giving WSU back-to-back double-digit win totals in conference play for the 2nd time (10 wins in 1998-99 & 14 wins in '99-'00). The Shockers have steadily improved in each of Jody Adams' seasons as head coach.
Year Record Place
2008-09 4-14 t-9th
2009-10 8-10 6th
2010-11 10-8 5th
2011-12 12-6 3rd
2012-13 4-0 1st
Wichita State was picked second in the MVC preseason poll, tying WSU's highest-ever selection with the 2006-07 team. The Shockers have met or exceeded its preseason prognostication in each of Jody Adams' four seasons.