March 1 - Wichita State (1-3) vs. Western Illinois (2-4) - 11 a.m.
March 2 - Wichita State (1-3) vs. New Orleans (0-8) - 12 p.m.
March 2 - Wichita State (1-3) at Central Arkansas (7-1), 4 p.m.
March 3 - Wichita State (1-3) vs. Iowa (3-3), 10 a.m.
Listen | Live Stats | Game Notes
Date: Feb. 28-March 3
First Pitch: 4 p.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 4 p.m., 10 a.m. CST
Location: Little Rock, Ark. and Conway, Ark.
Stadium: Gary Hogan Field and Bear Stadium
Radio: 98.7 FM/KFH 1240 KFH AM (Thurs. & Sun.)/Internet Only (Fri. & Sat.)
Talent: Shane Dennis
Series: WSU leads the series with UALR, 2-0, with WIU, 3-0, with UCA, 2-1 and with Iowa, 10-0. The series with UNO is tied 8-8.
Probable Pitching Matchups
Feb. 28 — A.J. Ladwig (RHP, 0-1, 8.31) vs. Chad Bradford (RHP, 0-1, 12.46)
March 1 — Kris Gardner (LHP, 0-0, 0.00) vs. Nick Smith (RHP, 1-1, 8.31)
March 2 (1) — Tobin Mateychick (RHP, 0-1, 99.00) vs. TBA
March 2 (2) — Cale Elam (RHP, 0-0, 4.66) vs. Jeffrey Enloe (LHP, 2-0, 1.80)
March 3 — TBA vs. Josh Martsching (RHP, 0-0, 0.00)
• Only Thursday and Sunday’s games will be broadcast on 98.7 FM/KFH 1240 AM. All of the games will be on www.shockerradio.com.
• Head Coach Gene Stephenson is just one win shy of 1,800 for his career.
• WSU leads the series with UALR, 2-0, with WIU, 3-0, with UCA, 2-1 and with Iowa, 10-0. The series with UNO is tied 8-8.
• The Shockers have not played a game since Tue., Feb. 19 at Oral Roberts. WSU has had eight-straight games snowed out.
• Five current Shockers have played against Central Arkansas including Erik Harbutz, Johnny Coy, Garrett Bayliff, TJ McGreevy and Tobin Mateychick.
• Eight current Shockers have played against New Orleans including Johnny Coy, Dayne Parker, Josh Halbert, Micah Green, Erik Harbutz, TJ McGreevy, Zach Beringer and Foster Vielock.
• The Shockers are 69-3 all-time at home (Eck and Lawrence-Dumont) in the month of February.
• WSU is 135-37 all-time overall in the month of February.
• The Shocks were picked second in the MVC Preseason Poll.
• Senior Johnny Coy was named to the preseason all-Valley team at first base.
• WSU tied a school record with a .974 fielding percentage in 2012. The entire infield returns for 2013.
• The Shocks set the school record for fewest errors in a season with 62 in 2012.
• WSU returns six starters and 20 letterwinners from the 2012 team.
• The Shocker pitching staff returns three starting pitchers including Kris Gardner, A.J. Ladwig and Tobin Mateychick.
• WSU has ranked in the top 20 in attendance since 1999.
Scouting Arkansas-Little Rock
Arkansas-Little Rock is 5-2 this season with wins over Evansville twice and SIU Edwardsville three times. Losses have come against Evansville and Louisiana Tech. John Clark leads the Trojans offensively as he is 9-for-22 (.409) on the season. As a team, UALR is batting .261 with a team ERA of 2.57. The Trojans are led by fifth-year head coach Scott Norwood.
Series History vs. UALR
Wichita State leads the overall series with Arkansas-Little Rock 2-0. The Shockers opened the 1997 season with the Trojans in Wichita and WSU won 4-2 and 16-1.
Last Meeting vs. the Trojans
The last meeting between the two teams was a two-game series, Feb. 22-23, 1997. The Shockers swept the series by scores of 4-2 and 16-1. Zach Sorensen went 6-for-9 with four RBI and Ben Thomas and Steve Foral each earned a win.
Scouting Western Illinois
Western Illinois is 2-4 this season with wins over No. 1 Arkansas and Arkansas State. Losses have come against No. 1 Arkansas twice and Arkansas State twice. Manny Reyes leads the Leathernecks offensively as he is 5-for-13 (.385) on the season. As a team, WIU is batting .223 with a team ERA of 6.12. The Leathernecks are led by first-year head coach Ryan Brownlee.
Series History vs. WIU
Wichita State leads the overall series with Western Illinois, 3-0. All three games were in Wichita in 1990 and the Shockers swept the series by scores of 11-1, 16-3 and 27-5.
Last Meeting vs. the Leathernecks
The last meeting between the two teams was a three-game series in Wichita, March 3-4, 1990. The Shockers swept the series by scores of 11-1, 16-3 and 27-5. Jim Audley went 5-for-12 with five RBI, while Tyler Green, Brian Buzard and Darrin Paxton each earned a win.
Scouting New Orleans
New Orleans is 0-8 on the season and plays at Tulane on Wednesday. Losses this season have come against Southeast Missouri State three times, Arkansas twice, and South Alabama three times. Andre Damiens leads the Privateers offensively as he is 8-for-16 (.500) on the season. As a team, UNO is batting .242 with a team ERA of 9.69. The Privateers are led by fourth-year head coach Bruce Peddie.
Series History vs. UNO
The series between Wichita State and New Orleans is tied 8-8. The last time the two met on a neutral field was in 2011 at the Dallas Baptist Tournament. The Shockers won that game 11-2.
Last Meeting vs. the Privateers
The last meeting between the two teams was March 4, 2011, in Dallas. The Shockers won 11-2. Johnny Coy led WSU going 2-for-3 with three RBI. Josh Smith earned the win on the mound.
Scouting Central Arkansas
Central Arkansas is 7-1 this season and plays Mississippi Valley State on Wednesday. Wins this season have come against Murray State three times, Jackson State twice, Kansas and Mississippi Valley State. The lone loss was to No. 2 Vanderbilt. Forrestt Allday leads the Bears offensively as he is 17-for-35 (.486) on the season. As a team, UCA is batting .307 with a team ERA of 2.68. The Bears are led by third-year head coach Allen Gum.
Series History vs. UCA
Wichita State leads the overall series with Central Arkansas, 2-1. WSU took both games of a series in Wichita in 2010, while UCA beat the Shockers in Wichita in 2008.
Last Meeting vs. the Bears
The last meeting between the two teams was a two-game series in Wichita, March 9-10, 2010. The Shockers won by scores of 14-2 and 8-2. Ryan Jones went 6-for-6 with five RBI in the series, while Logan Hoch and Josh Smith each earned a win.
Iowa is 3-3 this season with wins over Austin Peay, New Mexico and Texas A&M CC. Losses have come against Austin Peay twice and Oklahoma. Kris Goodman leads the Hawkeyes offensively as he is 11-for-24 (.458) on the season. As a team, Iowa is batting .260 with a team ERA of 1.87. The Hawkeyes are led by 10th-year head coach Jack Dahm.
Series History vs. UI
Wichita State leads the overall series with Iowa, 10-0. The two teams last met in 2005 in a three-game series at Eck Stadium.
Last Meeting vs. the Hawkeyes
The last meeting between the two teams was a three-game series in Wichita, March 25-27, 2005. The Shockers swept the series by scores of 6-1, 17-6 and 7-3. Derek Schermerhorn went 6-for-13 in the series with five RBI. Mike Pelfrey, Danny Jackson and Rob Musgrave each earned a win in the series.
Starting Off with a Home Run
Sophomore Casey Gillaspie hit a home run in his first at bat of the season on Feb. 15 against Pittsburgh. The last Shocker to hit a home run in his first at bat of the season was Damon Sublett on Feb. 8, 2006 at Hawaii-Hilo.
Wichita State had 11 newcomers debut on opening weekend. Juniors Drew Palmer, Brandon Peterson and Sean Moore, sophomore Cody Bobbit and freshmen Tanner Dearman, Joe Haddox, Tanner Kirk, Daniel Kihle, Parker Zimmerman, Garrett Brummett and Austin Sanders all played in the Pittsburgh series.