NORMAN, Okla.- The Wichita State men’s tennis team took the doubles point in exciting fashion from No. 14 Oklahoma before dropping the match, 4-1 on Friday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Headington Tennis Center.
The Shockers came out firing in doubles play as Tomislav Gregurovic and Guillermo Nicol were first off the doubles courts, defeating Lawrence Formentera and Nick Papac 8-4. Ilija Cuic and Erick Reyes gave the Shockers an early 1-0 advantage when they took down No. 71 Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas, 8-5.
Matheus Pereira and MVC Freshman of the Year Tin Ostojic were leading No. 29 Costin Paval and Dane Webb 8-7 when doubles play was finished.
In singles competition, Oklahoma took the first four matches to grab the victory. No. 122 Axel Alvarez Llamas defeated Ostojic in a close match, 7-5, 7-5 to clinch the win for the Sooners.
The loss ends a very successful season for the Shockers. They finished the season with a record of 17-8 and captured the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championship for the second time under head coach Brad Louderback.
The Shockers also had four student-athletes named to MVC All-Conference singles teams along with two All-Conference doubles teams.
No. 14 Oklahoma 4
No. 74 Wichita State 1
1. No. 22 Costin Paval (OU) vs. Matheus Pereria (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. No. 57 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Illija Cuic (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. No. 122 Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) vs. Tin Ostojic (WSU) 7-5, 7-5
4. No. 68 Dane Webb (OU) vs. Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) vs. Erick Reyes (WSU) 6-7 (8-6), 5-4
6. Nick Papac (OU) vs. Guillermo Nicol (WSU) 6-1, 1-6, 4-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1, 3
1. No. 29 Paval/Webb (OU) vs. Pereira/Ostojic (WSU) 7-8
2. No. 71 Alcorta/Alvarez (OU) vs. Cuic/Reyes (WSU) 5-8
3. Formentera/Papac (OU) vs. Gregurovic/Nicol (WSU) 4-8
Order of Finish: 3, 2