A longtime dream finally came true for the WSU tennis program in September, 1993. Wichita State University’s men’s and women’s tennis teams moved into their new home, the $1 million Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex on the south side of the Wichita State campus.
Made possible by a gift from the Coleman family in memory of Sheldon Sr., the complex features eight lighted tennis courts with spectator seating and a 2,500-square-foot-clubhouse which houses offices for Director of Tennis and Men's Head Coach Brad Louderback and Women's Head Coach Colin Foster and locker rooms for both teams, a lobby, foyer, snack bar, public restrooms and a covered patio area.
The complex is located at the site of the six original tennis courts which stood next to Henrion Hall just east of the 17th Street and Hillside intersection since the eary 1900’s.
The facility received a facelift during the summer of 2001. The courts were resurfaced by Southwest Recreational, Inc. New director style chairs were purchased for spectator comfort, and a public address system was installed to assist in tournament play, and allow for music during pre-match warmups.
When Fairmount College (now WSU) played one of the first evening college football games west of the MIssissippi River on the field just north of 17th Street, Coleman lanterns provided light for the historic event. Now the Coleman family is once again lighting up that area of campus in the form of the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex.