vs.#24 Wichita State (5-0) vs. Florida Gulf Coast (6-2) Listen | Live Stats | Game Notes | Tickets | Live Video
Saturday's game will only be on KNSS 1330 AM until 4 p.m. when men's basketball tips off. At that time, the baseball game will only be on the web at www.knssradio.com.
Date: March 5-7
First Pitch: 3, 2, 12 p.m. CST
Location: Wichita, Kan.
Stadium: Eck Stadium (7,851)
Radio: KNSS 1330 AM
Talent: Shane Dennis (pbp)
Series: WSU leads 1-0
Probable Pitching Matchups:
March 5 — Tim Kelley (RHP, 1-0, 3.38) vs. Chris Sale (LHP, 0-0, 0.00)
March 6 — Jordan Cooper (RHP, 1-0, 1.50) vs. Richie Erath (RHP, 2-0, 0.00)
March 7 — Charlie Lowell (LHP, 1-0, 6.75) vs. Patrick Nathanson (LHP, 2-0, 1.38)
• Sophomore outfielder Kevin Hall has a streak of five-straight games with a stolen base.
• Senior second baseman Will Baez is on a seven-game hitting streak.
• FGCU and the Shockers have met just one time before, a 6-0 WSU win in 2009 in Fort Myers.
• The Shockers are third in the nation in runs per game averaging 12.6.
• WSU is also third nationally in scoring margin at +9.0.
• Three Shockers hit their first career home runs against North Dakota. Erik Harbutz hit his on Tuesday and Nate Goro and Kevin Hall hit homers on Wednesday.
• WSU has homered in six-straight games which is the longest streak since 2008.
• WSU is now 31-2 under Gene Stephenson in home openers.
• Wichita State scored 14 runs in the season opener against North Florida. It was the most runs scored in a season opener since the 2003 team scored 16 at Hawaii-Hilo.
• The Shockers opened the season with four-straight games with double-digit runs. It was the first time since 1991.
Scouting Florida Gulf Coast
The Eagles are 6-2 overall and coming off of a loss to Michigan on Wednesday. FGCU went 36-18 last season and returns seven starters and eight pitchers. They are picked first in the Atlantic Sun preseason poll after wining the last two Atlantic Sun regular-season titles. Leading the way offensively is preseason all-conference pick Zach Maxfield who is hitting .400 with five doubles and 14 RBI. Leading the pitching staff is preseason All-American and Cape Cod League Pitcher of the Year Chris Sale. The lefty has not allowed an earned run in seven innings pitched this season and has 10 strikeouts.In 2009, FGCU hit .320 as a team with a team ERA of 5.02. The Eagles are led by eighth-year head coach Dave Tollett.
Series History vs. FGCU
Wichita State leads the overall series 1-0 with the only meeting coming Feb. 21, 2009 in Fort Myers, Fla. The Shockers won the game 6-0 behind the pitching of Charlie Lowell and Grant Muncrief. Kevin Hall, Cody Lassley, Ryan Jones and Taylor Brown each had two hits for WSU, while Hall had two RBI and Lassley one.
Florida Teams in Kansas
When Florida Gulf Coast visits Wichita March 5-7, it will be only the second time that a team from Florida plays at Wichita State. The only other time was in 1984 when Miami, Fla., played in Wichita May 17, 18 and 20 against the Shockers.